Thursday, February 14, 2013

Special Olympics

Special Olympics has been a part of my life since my seventh grade year. During that time I started just with soccer. My mom heard about our local Special Olympics through a friend of hers because she knew about it because her boys with also have autism play sports through this origination. All the sports that I have been involved include swimming, soccer of course, bowling, basketball and half a season of track and field. When I did swimming at the county meet I took two second places on the 25 meter freestyle and the 50 freestyle races and took third in 4 x 25 freestyle relay. This past season of soccer me and my team brought home a bronze medal. I just did bowling for one season so far and at the county tournament and on my lane I got second place ribbon. During the basketball season we had a game at my high school where everyone in the school came and watched me and my team play against oxfords team and the most exiting part of this for me was making my first basket of the whole season in front my home crowd. Did I mention it was the last basket of that game it was amazing feeling for me. The reason I only did half a season of track and field is because the first and only meet before states got canceled and plus the weekend they had the state summer games I had Relay For Life that weekend. So if you have a child with a special need and they like sports of any kind it might be in the best interest of you to look in the Special Olympics in your area the sports they offer that they offer in michigan are 

5 comments:

  1. This is such a great post Ms. Ashlyn. Love you so much and am so proud of you. You inspire so many people to work harder every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this informative piece about the Special Olympics! It really sounds like you enjoy it. Go you for getting involved AND spreading the word!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Ashlyn! I was a Special Olympics coach when I was growing up in Michigan. I coached cross-country skiing - and I loved it! Thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashlyn, it was neat to learn more about Special Olympics and congratulations on the medal, ribbon, and that great basket you made during the basketball game! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashlyn,
    You inspire me! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete